Wednesday 7 April 2010

The Company of Friends - Review

Oh. Dear. To say I didn't have high hopes for this anyway, it managed to disappoint me impressively. A collection of one part stories featuring companions of the Eighth Doctor from various other spin-off ranges. Having not read the books or comics, I had no idea who Izzy or Fitz were, and whilst I'd previously heard some of Benny on audio, my impression of her was less than favourable. I didn't really know what to expect, but I didn't anticipate anything quite this poor.

Benny's Story - I can't stand Bernice Summerfield. The world-weary 'I have an ex-husband, I drink a lot, I flirt with all men, I have a sarcastic answer for everything' characterisation just makes me wince. I don't find the humour in her stories funny. Not remotely. That said, I know she's massively popular, so I can't really fault BF for including her. I remain baffled at her fandom, though.

Aside from Benny, the story isn't *too* bad, at first. Benny being hired to find a TARDIS key is an intriguing hook, as are Venhella's motivations. Nothing really develops though, and the story becomes more of a jumbled mess as it goes on. 4/10

Fitz's story - Not so bad. Matt diAngelo didn't really get enough time to show much of his interpretation of Fitz, but he was ok and I got the impression he might be quite good in a longer story. The plot is basically one joke stretched out, but the gag is a funny one - The Doctor is the new figurehead of a company's infomercials, but they're using his likeness illlegally. Adding a little more interest to what could have been pure comedy, there's a suggestion the company might be up to nefarious deeds. It's a decent set up, but then the plot seems to run out of material, and fills the gaps with some less well-judged humour. The cleaner, in particular, is poor. Mostly a harmless piece of fluff, with a good start if a rather empty finish. 5/10

Izzy's Story - This is the real dealbreaker for me. This is the story that made me regret a purchase for the first time pretty much ever. The plot, such as it is, is the most cliche, worn out, stereotypical parody of comic book fandom you can imagine. The kid's show 'Arthur' did this story some time in the late 90s (and they did it better). In a couple of places it even becomes, if not offensive, then mildly sigh-inducing. The 'geek' character with thick glasses and bad skin is an image most people have moved on from in the last decade (the fact it's not being played straight doesn't make it any less groan-worthy), and, worse, Izzy asserts that the Courtmaster can't be female because s/he has a female lover - and the Doctor explains that Eugenia is a man's name on the writer's planet, seemingly accepting completely the truth of Izzy's assertion. I thought this was going to be a jab at Izzy's childish naivety, but no, apparently girls can't have relationships with other girls. I mean, I'm not going to be writing to the Daily Mail about this any time soon, but it did have me arching my brow for a moment.
Unfortunately, the story isn't helped by Jemima Rooper's performance. Perhaps simply playing to script, she plays Izzy as a 7 year old. In fact, not even that. She plays a character who is loud, excitable and childish in a way NO real person ever has been. Once more, I'm baffled by the love for this character and this performance. I can see what aspects about Benny people go for, even as they put me off. I can't imagine what people see in Izzy here. On the other hand, I could believe that both the character and the actress are being dragged down by the other elements of the production, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt as regards their merits in other work.
For my money, the joint worst story in the audio range, along with 100 Days of the Doctor. 2/10

Mary's Story - The only really redeeming tale on the disc. The idea that the Eighth Doctor travelled with Mary Shelley is quite intriguing; they seem like they'd make quite a pair. Indeed, the Eighth Doctor seems like he'd spend a lot of time hanging around with people from this era generally. The story finally throws off the air of silliness that pervaded the rest of the collection, and has quite a harsh, stressful atmosphere. This works well. In general it's quite a nice character piece, and does a lot with a few allusions dressed on a single point in a much larger plot. There's a couple of weaknesses, but they're not too bad. The lightning ressurection is pretty macguffiny, but with these shorter stories there's not much scope for anything more. Also, the historical characters end up rather undermined (excepting Mary herself). There's so many of them, each only gets a couple of lines, which, coupled with the slightly preposterous actions they take, leaves them seeming a bit hard to credit, which is a shame. Still, quite an enjoyable little tale. 7/10

Unfortunately, it's not enough to save the collection overall. The whole set I'd rate at about a 4/10. The worst of the anthologies.

No comments: