Wednesday 25 November 2009

Speechless

Sometimes, there are no words. Quite literally so; I saw something earlier that rendered me speechless. I don't even know where to begin with addressing it, it is too perverse for me to even get my head around. My only responses to it were rage and nausea and confusion. Anything I could say about it would be ranting, just venting. A meaningless outburst would serve no purpose, so I have nothing to say about it.

And that's good, I think. The idea that there might be a day when nothing can render me speechless is disturbing in the utmost. I don't want to be able to analyse and comment on everything, to account for and address everything. That's too much like comprehending the perverse thinking on display. When I can't proffer a response, I can at least cling to that as a sign that I am not yet like them. Their world doesn't make sense to me. God help me the day it does. Of course, venting incoherent rage isn't going to change anything. It'll take someone other than me to actually improve things. But I don't know that I want to be able to think like that person. I don't think I want a philosophy that accounts for everything.

3 comments:

Mr. Stabby said...

Get to the point and tell us what it was.

David J Smith said...

This is an excellent post. The best comment I have read for a long time. Do you know, after seeing the horrors of WII, and being forced (as a Jew) to live in a ghetto, clean up the detritus, and to burn books (imagine being forced to destroy the only thing that could have meant anything anymore)Paul Celan's poetry acquired a kind of choking, stuttering quality, as if he could no longer bring himself to say anything?

This inability to comment, to gag on the very impulse to express something, is a mark of a subject that bears witness to 'the horror'. For this reason alone I can't possibly doubt your testimony: whatever you read, you have seen the Gorgon in it.

Medusae said...

LOOK, I DIDN'T *realize* I had stepped in that before I came in! I wish you'd have just allowed me to clean it up rather than tell the world! Good gods, man, it's just a CARPET.

I HATE YOU!!!111oneone